HRC Vaccines – Speakers
Paul D. Hodgson, PhD., MBA
Associate Director Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization – International Vaccine Centre
Dr. Hodgson has been a member of the senior management team at the University of Saskatchewan’s Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization-International Vaccine Centre (VIDO-InterVac) since 2006. He is responsible for business development, marketing and communications. Prior to joining VIDO-InterVac, Paul was the manager for several multi-million dollar projects funded by Genome Canada and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and worked in business development with Newfound Genomics Inc. In addition to his role at VIDO-InterVac Paul is a founding director and the corporate secretary of the Pan-Provincial Vaccine Enterprise (PREVENT) – a National Centre of Excellence in Commercialization and Research and is a member of Canada’s Vaccine Industry Committee. He was Chair of the United Way Science and Technology campaign in Saskatoon for 5 years and is the past Chair of the Board for Big Brothers, Big Sisters of Saskatoon and Area. A native of Ontario, Paul received his undergrad and Master’s degrees from Dalhousie University, his PhD in Medicine from Memorial University and his MBA from the University of Alberta.
Dr. Rainer Engelhardt
Chief Science Officer, Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC)
Dr. Rainer Engelhardt spoke about the following:
- Overview of the history of Ebola outbreaks and how the current epidemic event is exceptional, but gives rise to concerns about future epidemics.
- Leading vaccines under consideration for mass immunisation
- The Canadian VSV Ebola vaccine – development, characteristics and mode of action, role of PHAC/NML
- Licensing and commercialisation of the Canadian IP for the VSV vaccine to NewLink/BPS and Merck;
- ‘Carve-out rights’ for Canada; provision of VSV vaccine to WHO for emergency compassionate use
- Clinical trial programme – Phase 1 and Phase 2 underway
- Anticipated target markets – GAVI designated countries and anti-bioterrorism stockpiles