To improve the health and prosperity of all Canadians by championing Canada’s global leadership in health research and innovation.
Why We’re Here
Research Canada is a national, broad-based alliance dedicated to advancing health research and health innovation through collaborative advocacy.
Canadians have long been concerned about diseases such as cancer, heart and stroke disease, diabetes and arthritis. Increasingly, they are also concerned about respiratory diseases, influenza and pneumonia. But they also understand the importance of health research and health innovation and look to health researchers and innovators to find solutions to a wide range of health challenges.
Canadians are also increasingly aware that progress in health research and health innovation leads to tangible economic benefits for Canada. Investments in health research lead to innovation and commercialization opportunities and, ultimately, jobs for Canadians.
Through Research Canada’s strategic activities, we engage all sectors – including government – to build support for health research and health innovation. We reach out to media, elected officials, and policy makers to bring greater attention to the critical importance of long-term, sustainable health research funding and policies in support of health innovation as investments in Canada’s future. Only through sustained and balanced investments in health research and through progressive and supportive health innovation policies will Canada succeed in keeping its citizens the healthiest in the world and in becoming an innovation nation.
Research Canada will be a collaborative advocacy leader for the health research and health innovation ecosystem helping to strengthen political and public support to achieve meaningful policy impact.
We envision Canada as a country where health research and health innovation are:
- A shared benefit
- A shared responsibility
- An investment in Canada’s future
We envision a health research and innovation ecosystem that is:
- Recognized internationally for its game-changing innovation
- Responsive to the health needs of all Canadians
- Respected as an important contributor to Canada’s global competitiveness
- Amplify Our Influence: Influence the public policy and funding environment to reflect the needs and aspirations of an integrated health innovation system that is ready to address immediate and long-term challenges.
- Broaden Public Reach: Engage media and the public to expand community awareness of, support for and influence within health research and health innovation policy.
- Diversify Our Alliance: Foster inclusive advocacy leadership by engaging diverse voices, including early-career talent.
- To ensure that health research and health innovation are high priorities of the federal government so that we achieve meaningful policy impact for Canada’s health research and innovation ecosystem.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Research Canada celebrates the diversity of the health research and innovation communities in Canada. Our inclusive culture inspires us to be flexible, bold and collaborative. At Research Canada, we have created an environment that empowers all of our Members, Supporters and Partners to connect, belong and grow. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Our Endorsement Statement
Research Canada does not, as a rule, endorse other organizations’ or groups’ policy positions and statements or advocacy messaging or initiatives to ensure we respect the diversity of views represented by our broad-based Membership; however, as a collaborative advocacy leader and the national voice for Canada’s health research and innovation ecosystem, we will consider requests on a case-by-case basis aligned with the ecosystem-focused policy positions and advocacy we undertake on behalf of all of our Members. ⇒